Sunday, October 19, 2014

Chapter 76 - Signing On The Dotted Line



Guests are arriving for the early evening ceremony and are being seated with instruction from the boys.  Jesse and Jacob are ushers and are taking the job very seriously, dressed in their tuxedo's and flip flops. 


 They were given strict instructions on how to seat the guests, since there is no center aisle.  The guests are not seated according to bride and groom side, they are seated by a seating chart drawn up by Jon and Beth.  The lawn is breathtaking as is the weather for the day.  No one could have ordered a better day.  Tents are set up over tables that are set for diners.  Beth decorated with fresh flowers and low illuminating lights, creating the ambiance for the night.  Catering was in place and Beth was able to get 

Beth is in the master bedroom with Carol and Tammy.  She's a bag of nerves and has the worst case of butterflies she has ever had.  "Why am I so nervous?"  she asks her future mother in law, with a sigh.  "This is crazy."

Carol walks over to Beth and adjusts a wisp of hair, smiling at who was already her daughter in her mind,  "As soon as you see him, all of those nerves will go away."

"I have never felt like this.  I have never been this nervous." she admits, looking for guidance, looking for relief.  

"Then it's meant to be, dear."  she takes Beth's hand, "The two of you have been through hell and you deserve this.  You two can finally be happy."  

As those words left her mouth, there is a knock at the door.  Beth looks at Tammy, Tammy looks at Beth and shrugs her shoulders, heading in the direction of the door.  Tammy opens it and there stands Stephanie Rose, dressed in her gown - her maid of honor gown.  "Can I come in?" she asks Beth's long time friend and trusty assistant.

"Sure!"  Tammy says to her, "Hurry, no one can see Beth yet."  She holds open the door and laughs as Stephanie walks in.

"What's up Rose?"  Beth asks her soon to be daughter, one of her very best friends.

Stephanie looks at Beth, then grandma and replies, extending her hand, holding an envelope for Beth.  "Dad wanted me to give this to you."

Beth takes it from her, looking it over, "What is it?"

"I don't know, but he told me to tell you to read it alone."

Beth looks at Stephanie, "Alone?"

"Yeah, he told me to tell you that you need to read it alone and in private."  She gives Beth a look of uncertainty, "Dad's words, not mine."

Beth looks at Carol and then at Tammy, "I guess we need to give you a few minutes.  Come on girls, let's go check on things."  Mother Bongiovi says.

Beth half hears that and when she realizes what Carol said, "Carol, there is a planner out there and full staff.  Please don't do anything.  I have it all under control."

"I know dear, I'm going to go check on Jon."

"Will you tell him that I love him and that I'll see him soon?"  Beth looks at the clock on her nightstand.  It's 3:40.  In 20 minutes, she will finally be his wife.  

Stephanie, Carol and Tammy leave Beth alone so she can open the envelope that she was instructed to read alone.  Her hands are trembling as she slides a finger under the edge, separating the flap of the envelope from the envelope.  Once it's opened, she pulls out a piece of paper that is known to be used by Jon, his favorite weight and color.  She unfolds it and reads:

Thank you for loving me.

She sits there, tears filling her eyes and a smile on her face.  With one line, he was able to take her out at the knees.  He knows what that song means to her.  To read those five words, from him, told her more than any novel ever could.  She kisses the note and slides it into her garter, under her dress.  

The single white piece of paper was the best wedding gift that she could ever get, that he could ever give her.  Alone, she remains seated on the settee in their bedroom, looking out over the great lawn that holds all of their family and friends.  She can't help feeling overwhelmed with many emotions, emotions from fear to elation.  She has finally gotten to the place in life that she has always wanted to be, she was on the verge of marrying the man that means the most to her.  The one man that has loved her and tried to stand by her through all of the crazy things that seemed to find them, even when they were hiding.  Together, they managed to weather storms that ranged from a sex tape to an indiscretion on Jon's part that started the whole ball rolling with Melissa and Dalton.  It also included Dorothea's suicide attempt, an accident in the Bahama's, the loss of three children and many other things.  But through it all, whether they were in the same state or not, their loved pulled them through.

As she day dreams out the window, she watches the boys seat the guests like professional ushers, in their handsome tuxedos and their Tommy flip flops.  Suddenly she is startled when she hears the door open and in the happiest of voices she hears, "Are you ready gorgeous?"  She turns around and sees Richie, with the biggest smile on his face.  He looks very debonair in his tuxedo.  In his hand, he has a gift for Beth.  The box is small and it has a dainty ribbon tied around it.

"Here, this is for you, gorgeous."  Richie says to her, extending his hand to give her the gift.  Beth stands up and kisses his cheek.

"What is it?" Beth asks as she's undoing the ribbon, still with shaky hands.

Richie kisses her forehead and starts to explain, "You have been a huge inspiration in my life and I just wanted to give you a token of my appreciation.  You were there for me when there was no one else, and I have been there for you when you needed and I will continue to be, but this, this is from my heart to you."  Beth looks up at him and he can see a tear in her eye, "I know that the tradition is something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.  Beth, this is something old, from me to you - to simply let you know that I love you and I am more than honored to be walking you down the aisle - to give you to my very best friend."  She's really crying now.

"I love you Richie!"  she slides her arms around his neck and hugs him.  His arms go around her waist and he lifts her off the ground, giving her his heartfelt hug.  When he sets her back on the floor, she opens the box and gently takes out a small, delicate bracelet.  "Richie, this is beautiful, absolutely beautiful.  Thank you!" 

He takes the bracelet from her and helps her get it on, "It's old in the fact that the gold that is in there, is mixed with my fathers wedding band."

Beth has a face drop, "Are you kidding me?  Richie............."

"Beth, over the years you have been a rock, for me, for me and even times for the band.  You make my best friend happier than I have ever seen and when I think about you, when I think what my dad would have thought of you, I can honestly tell you that he would have wished that you and I could get married.  You are what my dad wanted for me.  A strong, beautiful independent woman that doesn't need a man, but wants one."

"But his wedding ring, Richie.  You should have saved that for Ava."

"I talked to Ava about it and she loved the idea.  She said that no matter where we all end up in life, that when you look at your bracelet you will always remember me and her."

"I could never forget either of you." Beth hugs him again and kisses his cheek, "Thank you Richie."

He holds her back at arms length, smiles at her and asks, "Are you ready to go make Jon the happiest man on the planet."

Beth nods with a grin, "I am ready."

Richie takes his position next to her, offers her his arm and she hooks her arm in his.  Together, they start the walk out of the bedroom and down the grand hall.  They take their time, each step was a little bit of a struggle with the long wedding gown, but Richie was her knight in shining armor, helping her the whole way down.  When they reached Jon's office, where she was to walk out from, they waited for the signal.  

"This is a tough gig."  Richie breaks the ice.  "I'd rather be on stage with 50,000 in the crowd than this.  This is some pretty heavy shit."

Beth laughs, "Why do you say that?"

"Walking you down the aisle is the one thing that has made me have stage freight."

"Are you going to make it?"  The sounds of the wedding song start playing and Beth adds, "No turning back now."

"Let's do this!  He's waiting for you."

They hook arms and start the walk down the side of the pews, Beth's butterflies are very energetic until she looks up and sees Jon.  And as soon as she did, after that, he was all that she seen.  She was locked in on his gaze and feeling better.   His smile reached his eyes and she took his breath away.

As they reached Jon,  the priest asks, "Who gives this woman in holy matrimony?"  Beth looks at Richie and smiles,

Richie standing straight with immense pride says, "Me and her children do."

"Very well.  Beth, take your place next to your groom."  Richie lifts her veil, kisses her and winks at Jon.

Jon and Beth are standing in front of family and friends on the brink of giving themselves to one another, forever.

3 comments:

  1. Why do I have the feeling when they ask Who objections to this union someone is going too. Because you love to surprise us. That book is out there and well Dalton is still pissed at them so... anything can happen. Or they can have a happy wedding. We never know with you. So this should be interesting. My heart is racing til the next chapter so Pleaseeeeeee don't make us wait Jons ok?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the note from Jon and how Stephen gave it to her. Love the braclet Richie. Remember, she is your best friends girl though. Won't surprise me if you( the writer) is going go throw a curve there, or maybe bring dot there or the other women that tried to ruin their life. Please let them be Happy Now! Love this! Afraid the end is near now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hating blogger today. It deleted my whole post... gggrrrhhh

    Great chapter. Nice touch with the note.

    Love Richie's (and Ava's) gift I to hope he finds someone like Beth soon.

    Waiting for something to happen at the ceremony or at the very least the reception..

    Great chapter. Thank you.
    More please.

    ReplyDelete