Friday, November 21, 2014

Chapter 84 - You Don't Walk In Vain





The home telephone ringing scared her, as she laid on the couch thumbing through the latest edition of Vogue magazine.  

With an irritated sigh, she gets up and answers it.  She has to, there is no one else around.  The staff has the day off and the kids are with Jon.  "HELLO!?!" she snaps into the receiver.  

There is a brief silence and then she hears the automated voice,"You have a collect call from an inmate at the Monmouth County jail.  Please press 1 to accept the charges, or simply hang up."  She's frozen,  After a few seconds she presses 1 and waits to hear who is on the other end.   

"Hello??"  Brian says into the mouthpiece of the payphone in the jail cell.  He's a little nervous, not sure of how his call would be received, but he had to call. He needed help.  "Dorothea?"

"YOU'RE in jail?" she barks back at him.   "What the hell did you do, Brian?"

"Relax.  It's a minor trespassing charge.  Come get me."

"Trespassing?  Where did you............wait, did you crash their wedding?" she mumbles, suddenly feeling sick to her stomach and weak at the knees, "Tell me you didn't crash their wedding."

"I stopped by." he chuckles, "And then got into a fight."

Dorothea starts to pace the SoHo apartment, thinking about nothing other than Jon is going to kill her.  "Why did you go there?"

"You know why.  Come get me." Brian demands of her, "And make it quick, the reporters are getting heavy outside." 

She stops dead in her tracks, "I am NOT coming to get you.  I will not be seen with you now.  Don't you know what you have done?"

"Oh shut up, you're just pissed that I came out before you wanted me too.  You're mad that I'm not your secret anymore."

"Fuck you!"

"Come get me."

"NO, call your parents or a bail bondsmen."

"You better come get me, or else...................."

She drops the phone and runs into the half bath that is off the living room.  Brian can hear that she is getting sick and he thinks that that in itself is funny.  She heaves and heaves and when she's done, she just picks up the phone and hangs it up.

Within minutes, it rings again and again until she can't stand it anymore.  Answering it with attitude, "I am not coming to get you, you did this, you created this problem long before we were ready for it, get yourself out."

Huffing and puffing, "You need to get in your car and come get me, otherwise I will blow the lid off of this whole story and make any possibility of reconciliation between you and Jon  way more than impossible."

"Doesn't matter, Jon is going to kill me anyway."

"Come get me."

"NO!"

Brian can feel his blood boiling and hates to hear the word no, and even more so with Dorothea.  He likes her, really likes her, even though their relationship is based on bullshit and schemes, "You need to come get me before the press blows this out of proportion.  It's bad enough that this place is already climbing with reporters."

"Wait, who did you fight with?"  Dorothea remembers that he mentioned that, "Who did you hurt?"

Brain laughs again, "I didn't hurt anyone.  Jon's brother, I think, kicked the shit out of me."

"Brother?  Which one?"

"I think it was Tony?"  Brian says with an uncertainty in his voice, "the stocky one."

"Oh my god, tell me you're kidding."

"Will you just come get me, I can give you all of the details then."

There is a long silence, as she paces the floor and he stands there waiting for her to answer. After she has had a moment to clear her mind and get her thoughts in order, "I'll send someone for you, but I'm not coming.  I can't be associated with it."

"Whatever, just get me out of here."

"Did you mention my name?"

"No.  There really wasn't time." he blurts, "Send whoever and send them fast."

"Okay.  Goodbye."  She hangs up the phone again and stands in the middle of the room.  Looking out over the city, she's trying to figure out who her best choice to go get him would be.  There is only one person that comes to mind, her best friend.  

3 comments:

  1. Omg..I have no words right now. She's worst then I thought. She set this all up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who the hell would be her best friend?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not surprised She is involved. AND that it's all part of a bigger plan. But who the hell is her best friend???

    ReplyDelete