Thursday, April 24, 2014

Chapter 19 - We Gotta Go Around Again, So Let's Hold On

 
 
The two of them are at a point in this relationship that sometimes they don't even need to use words.  They are so in sync with each others body language that sometimes words aren't enough, or they truly can't explain the way that they are feeling.  

 
He's holding her, thinking back over the last six months and realizes that he wasn't there for some pretty big moments as an expecting parent.  "How are they?  Are they doing good?  Is everything right where it should be?" 

Beth looks up at him, "Jon, they're perfect.  Both are right where they are supposed to be."

"No worries?" he asks.  "No complications?"

"Not one." she smiles, "I think God knows that I have had my limit."

"He has too."  He pulls her in closer, he holds her tighter, "How are you doing?  You've been out here on your own, how are you?"

With her head on his chest, she listens to the one sound that could, no matter what, calm her down.  Thump, thump, thump thump.  "I'm fine.  I am happier than I have ever been."

"Are you sure?"
 
"Yeah, why?"
 
"You've been doing it on your own.  Are you still doing the things that you like?  Are you still mashing grapes with your feet?" he chuckles as he says that, picturing her doing just that.  She loved to do that when they would come out for a check in. 
 
She slightly nods her head, "I can't get much help with the growing of the babies and yes, I do still mash from time to time.  The guests like to see me doing it.  The foot on kind of thing."
 
He cups her head and kiss her, "What do you have to eat around here?"
 
"Don't you have to get back to work?"  She takes a step back, "I don't want to be the reason that you have to reschedule."
 
"No, we're off tomorrow." he says as he walks into the kitchen.  He pulls open the fridge door and looks at what she has.  "How can those babies be growing if you're putting that shit into your body?"  He reaches in and pulls out a bowl of salad.  He looks at it and then looks at her, "Do you have a rabbit?"
 
Beth laughs at that, her response makes her laugh even harder, "No, Jon the bunny died."  She rubs her belly, "The test was positive."
 
"Ha ha funny, is this all you eat?"  He kind of tosses the bowl on the counter and leans in to look better, "Are you hungry?"
 
"No, I ate already."  She walks up behind him, wrapping her arms around him, she tells him, "I eat in the restaurant, silly.  I have a 5 star chef up there."
 
"Oh that's right."  He starts to rub her hands, "Is the kitchen still open?"  He looks at his watch. 
 
"We can go see." They both are startled when his cell phone alert goes off.  He reaches into his back pocket and pulls out his phone.  Flipping the cover off, he sees that it's Dorothea.
 
He slides it to answer, "What's up?"  Beth lets him go and walks away, to give him privacy.  She doesn't want to know that they are talking about, his life is his life.  She doesn't want to know, she thinks that if she knows she may get involved and she can't emotionally afford that.  She can't spare anymore tears or another sleepless night.
 
She goes into her bedroom and takes off her sweater.  She's a little chilly and very tired.  Feeling that level of comfort that she has always had with Jon, she gets in the shower.  She knows that he'll find her if her needs her. 
 
Just as she expected, he sought her out and was laughing when he seen her in the bathroom, "Babe, how can you not fall over?  You're huge."
 
"Fuck you." she jests, "Is everything okay?"  She puts her head in the water stream, unable to hear what he says.  When she steps out of the water, she asks, "What did you say?"  She looks over at him, he's standing at the shower opening.  He's smiling at her.
 
"Everything is fine.  She heard I left right after the show, so she was checking on me."
 
"Does she know you're here?" she asks, knowing the answer.
 
"I did tell her."
 
"Why?" she blurts.  "Why did you tell her that you're here."
 
"Because I have nothing to hide."
 
"But I do.  I don't want people up here.  All I need is for her to open her mouth and then the press get involved.  I want to be left alone."
 
"She won't say anything."
 
"Yes she will, she's Dot." Beth knows better and so does Jon.  But she corrects herself, "I should give her the benefit of the doubt, people do change." She rolls her eyes and Jon sees it.
 
"I don't think she'll say anything.  She's got a lot going on right now and I know she won't want that shadowed by anything that you or I do."
 
Beth finishes her shower and Jon hands her her towel.  She wraps in it and steps out of the shower.  he moves out of her way, and he jokes with her, "Here, let me get out of the way, you need all the room you can get."
 
"Do you remember the last time that I slapped you?"
 
"Yeah."
 
"Keep it up and you'll get one worse than that."
 
He laughs at her, he can't help it really.  He sees her body, contorted in a way that he's never seen before.  She is bigger than she was with Rowan and Spencer and McKenna - all put together.  "How uncomfortable are you?"
 
"Very."
 
"I can imagine.  Are they active." he grins.
 
"Oh God yes."  Beth is standing in the mirror brushing her hair.  Jon is sitting on the counter watching every move that she makes.  "They might be the size of football players when they come out." 
 
He looks her up and down, "You're still the most beautiful woman I have ever laid eyes on."
 
"Oh stop!" she starts to rub lotion all over her body and he asks if she needs help.  She winks at him and says, "Nope, I can get it.  But thanks."
 
He hops off the counter and gives her the space that he thinks that she might need.  he goes in and sits on their bed.  The bed that they bought together.  he looks around the house and can see that the changes that she made were minimal.  There has been a few pictures added, of her with Brian's parents.  From the bedroom, he asks, "Do Brian's parents know what you did?"
 
"What I did?"
 
"The in vitro?"
 
She comes out, completely naked.  Using his hands, he pretends to take a picture of her.  "In my memory now."
 
She sits next to him, "I was going to tell them, but I don't want their hopes up and then we find out that they are yours."
 
"Did they know that he donated sperm when he was in college?"  he puts his hand on her leg and starts to rub her thighs.  "As dumb as this may sound to you, if you can't have my baby - he would be the next best thing."
 
"Do you mean that?" she looks at him, quite surprised, "He really was a great man and he would have been an excellent father." 
 
"If they're his, I will love them like they are my own."  he means every word that he just said, and Beth can see that.  She sees that he's thrilled that she is trying to have children and that she is excited about it.  "I can't help but notice that you seem a little calmer this time around."
 
She gets up to get her pajamas, "I convinced myself that the Bongiovi sperm and my body weren't a good fit."

5 comments:

  1. Whoops.... That closing line is a doozie!!
    Good chapter. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get the feeling she already knows they aren't his - whay a weird commeny she made at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch is right. Sheesh Beth! Just when things were going well you stick another dagger in him. Cheap shot. Poor man. And the Bongiovi sperm & her body did fine. McKenna died at the hands of a psycho not because of anything else. Beth needs to think before she speaks. Hope it was a joke. Can't wait for the next chapter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch..that wasn't very nice Beth. Understandable, but mean to say.

    ReplyDelete