Thursday, July 3, 2014

Chapter 51 - All I Needed Was You


He drops to his knees and instantly has tears in his eyes, "Babe, what happened?"  He reaches up with his free hand and tries to expose her face, she again, pulls away.



"Don't!!" she snaps at him, "Please don't touch me."  She says it without even looking at him.



"Beth, what the hell happened?  Why do you have stitches in your lip and in your eye?  What the fuck happened?" he's upset and it's getting worse by the second.  "Are you okay?"



"Do I look it?"  she unlatches Spencer, who fell asleep while eating.  With him over her shoulder, she starts to pat his back and gets up from the chair.  "Will you please go to the hotel, I want to be by myself."



He follows her as she walks the nursery taking care of Spencer, "I'm not leaving until you tell me what happened to you.  Are the babies okay?" He asks, stopping in front of her, he can still see the tears.



She nods her head, "The babies are fine.  They need to get to bed.  Do you want to keep them tonight or do you want me to keep them here?"



He takes a deep breath and lets out a long sigh, with her in his sight.  "I'll take them to the hotel.  Are you sure?  I can stay here with you and take care of them,"



"I'd really rather be alone, Jon." she mouses to him, "I just want to climb into bed and sleep the whole night."



He takes that cue and starts to get Brianna ready for bed, "Will you talk to me while I'm here?"  he changes her diaper and grabs a bunting from her drawer.  Once he has her dressed, he swaddles her in a blanket and lays her in her swing.  Since she's taken care of, he walks over to Beth and takes Spencer.  Doing what good daddy's do, he gets Spencer ready for bed and swaddles him too.  When he's finished, he looks to her, "Okay, I think they're ready.  Will we see you in the morning?"



"I'll walk over with you, there are things that I need to show you.  But there is everything that you need, or could need,  I pumped enough, so there's plenty in the freezer.  If you need more, I'll be here."  She walks over and picks up Brianna, "Are you ready?"



"Please talk to me??  I'm begging you!"

She gently shakes her head no and says, "I'd really rather not."  She hikes a small bag over her shoulder and starts to talk like business as usual.  "The suite is brand new.  No one has stayed in it.  It has all of your favorites and then some."  With Brianna in her arms and Spencer in Jon's, they start over to the hotel.  "If you need anything, just call housekeeping, they know you were coming."

Behind her, listening to every word he reaches up and stops her, "Don't do this to me, Beth.  What happened to you?   Did someone hurt you?"

She's irritated at this point, she doesn't want to talk and he just won't let it go.  Her first thought to his question, the response that she gave him, "Did you hear about anything in the news?"  Her voice was flippant and that pissed him off.

"Please, just tell me how you were hurt."

"I'm not telling you Jon.  Drop it."  They start their way up the stairs and she goes back into her hotel owner speech, "You can order food 27/7, and I know this goes without saying - please don't smoke in the room.  I don't want it around the twins and I don't want it in a room."

"Stop already, will you.  Tell me why you have stitches and bruises and why you're crying.  You can't do this to me, Beth."

"If you need anything that housekeeping or room service can't get you, Vinny lives above the office.  He can get you anything else or take care of anything.  There are two cribs and two swings, all the diapers and wipes that you will need.  If you need linens for the twins, Gloria has them stored away."

He gives her a sarcastic chuckle, "So this is what we have come to?  I'm just a guest at your hotel and we happen to share children, nice." 

Beth pushes the elevator button and enters the code for the suite, telling Jon "It's your birthdate, so you don't forget."  The quick ride up was quiet and Beth thought that it took forever.  When they exited, they were in the suite.  Jon is a nervous wreck and feels like he wants to be sick.  The times that he was able to see her face, his heart dropped and shattered as it hit the floor.  He knows her well enough that he has pushed her about to the point that she will close up and never talk about it, if he pushes the issue.  He's still so much in love with her, he never imagined that his visit would be like this.  It's supposed to be happy time, they are supposed to be spending time together and he's hoping they can reconnect, he's praying that they can reconnect.

She lays Brianna, who is sound asleep in her crib.  Each baby has their own crib and it's decked out in Rock Star Baby gear and it looks great.  Tico sent what looked like a truckload when the twins were born and Beth used it in the house and in the hotel. 

Jon followed her lead and laid Spencer down to sleep.  After picking and making sure they both were okay, he turned to Beth, with his arms out and said, "Come here."

She drops her head, unable to look at him. 

"Please come here." he asks again as he walks to her.  When he gets to her, he wraps his arms around her and starts to feel her melt, slightly.  "Babe, you gotta talk to me."  She shakes her head no. "I know you, you need to talk."

Resting her head on his chest, she mumbles, "I am talking to someone.  Right now I just need to go to sleep, I am so exhausted."

"When did you get the stitches?"

"The day before yesterday.  I'm going home.  I'll come over in the morning and see how it's going."  She breaks his hold and leaves him in the suite.  She has not a care in the world, he was a wonderful caregiver with McKenna, she knows that he will be fine with the twins, on his own.

5 comments:

  1. Good lord. Just tell him what happened! I hope she opens up to him the next day. Maybe she got into it with Dot & got her ass kicked. That I could see happening given they both despise each other. Maybe a bad fall or did she black out? Is she sick? I give up lol. I know I have no idea how this is gonna play out lol.

    Great chapter, as always, Jons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah gotta say she is a bit confusing right now. poor Jon probably won't get any sleep for worrying about her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why won't she tell him what happened? hhhmmmm someone from her past maybe?

    ReplyDelete